Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Complete Beet Galette

Mollie Katzen has an amazing cookbook where she cooks with all of "The vegetables I can't live without".  One of her recipes is called "Complete Beets" where she uses the beet greens as well as the beet itself.  When I got some complete beets in my farmshare, I knew I had to make a complete beet galette because what goes better with vegetables then a ton of butter and cheese?


You may remember my slight obsession with ricotta earlier in the summer.  I used ricotta again in this recipe (about 3/4 cup) so hopefully you are still using the recipe just like I am!  I got the galette dough from my favorite place Smitten Kitchen (Galette dough).  She also has other varieties of this delicious dish if you are not a fan of beets.

Ingredients


1 galette pastry dough (prepared Smitten style)
1 lb complete beets
1/2 small onion finely chopped
1/2 small onion thinly sliced
2 tablespoons honey
3/4 cup ricotta
1 egg (beaten)
salt

1. Chop beets and their greens into bit size pieces.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Heat saute pan over medium heat with a swirl of olive oil
3. When hot, add beets, their greens and finely chopped onions and saute about 7 minutes.
4. Turn off heat and stir honey into the veggies
5. Add a dash of salt to taste
6. Roll out pastry dough into 12 inch circle
7. Spread ricotta in the center of the dough, leaving 2 inches on the diameter which you will fold over the veggies
8. Evenly layer veggies on top of the ricotta and then layer the thinly sliced onions
9. Fold over pastry dough (as per the picture) leaving most of the galette exposed
10. Brush beaten egg over the dough and tops of the onions
11. Bake in preheated oven about 35 minutes or until top is golden brown and onions are starting to brown as well.
12. Serve with a salad and a big glass of wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

''