I realize this is a glamor shot of pesto in a tupperware but I ate my dinner too fast and couldn't get a decent picture of this amazing pesto. This should be a good sign if you think about it, a pesto so delicious and versatile (hello turkey sandwich!) that I instantly forgot about you. This could also be used as a dip for veggies, on pita bread sandwiches or tossed with pasta. It's just simply that awesome.
1 lb fava beans
8 basil leaves
1 small clove garlic
1/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup olive oil
pinch of salt
1. To prepare the fava beans, you have to get the pods out of the larger bean. Use a knife and carefully cut a slit in the larger bean and use your fingers to dig out the pods. Think of it as a very large snap pea.
2. Heat a small pot of boiling water. When boiling dump the fava beans into the water and cook five minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and let cool.
4. Now you have to remove the green fava from the outer white "shell". Pinching one corning of the bean while squeezing from the other side seems to work best. By the end of the pound, you will have found your method.
5. Combine all remaining ingredients with the fava beans in a small food puree system. Blend until well combined, about 2-3 minutes.
6. Serve immediately.