Thursday, June 23, 2011

Curry Tomato Lentils with Rice

I love tomatoes (almost as much as I love goat cheese, potatoes and pizza).  It is rare to get these in my neck of the woods and when I do I ALWAYS serve them with mozzarella.  This time I decided to try something different.  The more I created this recipe, the more ideas that popped into my head.  It is simple, yet filling and very, very satisfying.



Ingredients


3/4 cup lentils
1/4 cup brown rice
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 beefsteak tomato
olive oil
salt/pepper
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup slivered almonds

1. Combine lentils, brown rice, curry powder and two cups of water in a sauce pan on medium high heat.  Cover with a lid.
2. Remove stem of the tomato (and in a beefsteak that usually means cutting into the tomato to get rid of the long stem) and then slice the tomato about 1/4 inch thick
3. Preheat the broiler
4. Drizzle olive oil on tomatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper
5. Place tomatoes into the oven and set timer for 6 minutes.
6. You should be keeping a close eye on the lentils.  As soon as the water is absorbed they are done.
7. Remove from heat and add tomato sauce and almonds to the lentils.
8. When tomatoes are done remove from oven and plate your dish according to your preference!

No comments:

Post a Comment

''